One of the requests I get often from network marketers is how to get over call reluctance. This is an essential step in MLM training and that’s the focus of today’s blog.
Network marketers know that you have to make calls in order to build your MLM business, but sometimes they are resistant to making the calls. Instead of making calls, they bury themselves in a guilt-ridden corner and mentally beat themselves up.
Sound familiar? Here’s a list of items I use to help coach my MLM downline members who struggle with picking up the phone and calling prospects.
Call reluctance is a term used in sales and network marketing to mean that the salesperson or the network marketer hesitates or procrastinates making calls to prospects. So, to help a person get past this we need to figure out what caused this reluctance.
As I commonly do, I’ll define the main word which is reluctance. It means unwillingness; offering resistance; opposing.
A network marketer knows he/she should make calls in order to build his/her business but is unwilling to or is resistant to or is opposed to making the calls. So, just what might cause a person to be unwilling to make calls?
The Reluctance Checklist
I’ve written a list of items that cause a person to be unwilling, resistant or opposed to making the calls. This will be a good checklist to help a person in your downline find out why they’re not having success in their network marketing business.
And, if you’d like a nice jolt of reality, hand this list to someone in your downline and ask them to check and make sure you do all these things.
- Has he/she decided exactly what she wants to achieve with him/her MLM business? Ask him/her what it is.
- Has he/she written a plan of how to achieve it? Ask him/her if you can see it.
- Is he/she working that plan? Ask him/her to show you where she currently is on the plan.
- Does he/she know all the parts that make up building his/her MLM business?
- Does he/she have an MLM lead source? Ask him/her to show it to you.
- Does he/she know how to get customers? Ask him/her to get one while you watch.
- Does he/she know how to service customers? Ask him/her to show you how he/she does it.
- Does he/she know how to get distributors? Ask him/her to show you how he/she gets one.
- Does he/she know how to train distributors to get customers? Ask him/her to train one while you watch, or introduce someone to you who he/she has trained that can get customers. Ask that person to demonstrate getting a customer.
- Does he/she know how to train distributors to get distributors? Ask him/her to train one while you watch, or introduce someone to you who he/she has trained that can get distributors. Ask that person to demonstrate how they get a distributor.
Whatever he/she can’t show you is the reason for call reluctance.
Being afaid of rejection is garbage. Anyone who says that that is their reason, you can easily call their bluff by setting a tape recorder on a table and ask, “Invite me to come to your business meeting.”
They can’t do it. Why? It’s not fear of rejection. Tape recorders don’t reject you.
Fear of rejection, out of comfort zone, call reluctance – these are all fancy phrases a person comes up with to mask what they don’t know how to do. I don’t care if the person has been in sales for 20 year. If they don’t make the calls, it’s because there is something about the business they don’t know how to do.
Fear, fear of rejection, and/or call reluctance is the same animal not being able to predict an outcome. That’s the basis of all fear. The person just simply can’t predict what will happen if they do something. If you go bungee jumping, it’s the inability to predict the outcome that causes fear. If you defuse bombs (my past profession), it’s the inability to predict the outcome that causes fear.
Don’t Buy the Excuses
I’ve seen this surface from some very unlikely people. There was a person who had seen a fair amount of success but was not able to reap the rewards from one of her MLM business legs. The compensation plan required her to have 12 on her front line to earn on the depth of the organization.
When she first came into the business, she had a friend with her and her friend saw the business at the same time. Her friend built a big network marketing business under her. So she had one very large organization, but she could only earn on one level deep.
When she had 12 on her front line, she could earn six levels deep of the whole organization. But she couldn’t get the other 11 people. Everyone in the company (not just her downline) looked up to her because she had such a large business.
But she couldn’t earn money on all the volume until she got those 11 people on her front line. She talked to me about it. She said she wasn’t making the calls because of call reluctance. I didn’t buy her excuse.
Don’t you buy your downline’s excuses run them through the check sheet above and train them on whatever they can’t do.
Don’t you buy your own excuses! Get trained with proper and proven MLM training.
About the Author
Tim Sales helps network marketers gain the skills necessary to be successful in MLM. His MLM training is based on his personal success of building a downline of 65,000 people.